|Dimensions||51 × 27 × 27 mm|
With its next-generation Rally Hull design, ergonomic seating, and 4-point thigh straps, the Gnarwhal is our most stable and forgiving whitewater Packraft. Ideal for building skills and confidence, carrying heavy loads, and charging hard on high volume runs.
Looking for additional options? Check out our Custom Lab Packrafts. You will go to the Alpackaraft website. Download the form, fill it in and send it our way. firstname.lastname@example.org
US$1,575 – US$1,700
Powerful or playful, addictive or intimidating, enlightening or terrifying, clean or chaotic. Whitewater can be the ultimate in contradictions, but the Gnarwhal will be there when you need it most so you can get to the bottom of the run with more laughing and less swimming. Advanced paddlers get the most from the Gnarwhal by setting up early and paddling hard, making it ideal for high volume rivers and messy features that require speed, power, and stability to clean. Novice and intermediate paddlers will get the most from the Gnarwhal’s unmatched stability and forgiveness, which makes rapids fun so that you can focus on honing your technique and building confidence without worrying about getting flipped every time you make a mistake.
The Gnarwhal is built with our Rally Hull, high-performance whitewater rigging, Cargo Fly zipper internal storage system, and either a Whitewater Deck or Self Bailing configuration. The Rally Hull is our highest performance whitewater hull with a center panel stern for stability and forgiveness and a rockered bow for punching over holes and carving eddy turns. The Gnarwhal is higher volume than the Wolverine to maximize stability, forgiveness, and weight capacity. The whitewater rigging includes an adjustable foam backband, ¾ length seat and foot brace and patented 4-point thigh straps.
Trying to choose between the high-volume Gnarwhal and the mid-volume Wolverine? You’ll love the Gnarwhal if you want a forgiving and easy to paddle packraft that takes the intimidation out of paddling moderate whitewater, if you want to charge hard in bigger water and features, or if you need to carry a large cargo load on a long trip. You’ll love the Wolverine if you want to squeeze as much as you can out of every run with our most engaging whitewater packraft that likes to hit every eddy and play feature, and boof off every lip. Both the Wolverine and Gnarwhal can be reliably rolled by skilled boaters with thigh straps, but the Wolverine roll is a bit easier for most people. The Gnarwhal and Wolverine are sized to fit most average sized adults, but larger and heavier (over 6’0” and 200lbs) paddlers will fit better in the Gnarwhal while smaller and lighter paddlers (under 5’7” and 150lbs) will fit better in the Wolverine.
The Gnarwhal is available in Self Bailing and Whitewater Deck configurations. (See the other tabs for additional details and recommendations). Removable whitewater decks are available by special order.
- Manufacturing: Made to Order in Mancos, Colorado
- Shape: Rally Hull
- Tube Diameter: 11.7-inch
- Fit: Whitewater (See sizing and specifications)
- Valve: Temper assist valve for inflation and deflation
- Attachments: 4 bow grab loops, 2 stern grab loops, 2 double D-Rings, 2 ankle loops, 2 multi-slot strap plates, and two strap plates
- Seating: 3/4 Length WW Seat, WW Foot Brace, Adjustable Foam Backband, Patented 4-point Thigh Straps
- Build Configurations: Whitewater Deck or Self Bailer
- Cargo Fly: Standard including internal dry bags
- Materials: Proprietary 210-denier high count nylon hull and 840-denier ballistic nylon floor (Made in USA). 420d nylon hull is available for a heavy duty option.
- Includes: Inflation Bag, Stuff Sack, and Basic Repair Kit
- Recommended Gear: Werner Sherpa, Powerhouse, or Aqua-Bound Shred 200cm paddle, Astral YTV or Green Jacket PFD, Kokatat Swift Entry Drysuit
- AQUASEAL WARNING: Using the Aquaseal in the repair kit will expose you to toluene, a chemical known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.
Sizing and Sepecifications
The chart below shows our recommended size based on your sit length and the Gnarwhal’s fit profile. To determine your sit length, sit against a wall with your legs flat (wearing your preferred paddling shoes) and measure the distance from the wall to your heels. The Gnarwhal is sized for a whitewater fit, meaning that a typical paddler in the recommended size will be able to deeply bend their knees for maximum engagement in the thigh straps for the most secure high-performance fit. You can size up or down for more performance or a relaxed fit.
|Paddler Sit Length||39-43in | 99-109cm||42-46in | 107-117cm||45-50in | 114-127cm|
|Exterior Length||94in | 239cm||97in | 246cm||100in | 254cm|
|Exterior Width||38in | 97cm||38in | 97cm||38in | 97cm|
|Interior Length||43in | 109cm||46in | 117cm||49in | 124cm|
|Width at Hips||15in | 38cm||15in | 38cm||15in | 38cm|
|Max Capacity*||450lb | 204kg||450lb | 204kg||450lb | 204kg|
*Max Capacity is the maximum total weight (paddlers and cargo) that the boat can reasonably carry in flatwater under ideal conditions. Actual capacity for any given trip will vary widely based on the paddler’s skill and water conditions. Please review our weight carrying capacity guide for further details.
|Self Bailer (SB)||Whitewater Deck (WW)|
|Weight*||Packed Size**||Weight*||Packed Size**|
|Medium||7.9lb | 3.57kg||20×7.5in | 51x19cm||9.2lb | 4.17kg||20×9.5in | 51x24cm|
|Large||8.1lb | 3.69kg||20x8in | 51x20cm||9.4lb | 4.26kg||20x10in | 51x25cm|
|X-Large||8.4lb | 3.82kg||20×8.5in | 51x22cm||9.6lb | 4.35kg||20×10.5in | 51x27cm|
*Weight includes all components except inflation bag, repair kit, and internal dry bags for Cargo Fly.
**Packed size is a reference measurement based on folding each lengthwise edge of the boat to the center and rolling from the bow. There are many other methods of rolling and folding the boats that will result in a different packed size that may be more or less efficient for packing depending on the situation.
420d Nylon builds will be ~6-8oz heavier and slightly bulkier, but with improved rigidity and durability.
- Self Bailer – The lightest configuration, the Gnarwhal Self Bailer features a 7-inch thick seat and is ideal for warmer conditions, quick entry and exit, and anyone that prefers a self bailing setup.
- Whitewater Deck – The driest and warmest configuration, the Gnarwhal WW Deck features a 5-inch thick seat and a new deck design with a larger cockpit, one-piece coaming, and a more secure spray skirt/deck interface.
- Removable WW Deck – The most versatile configuration, the Gnarwhal Removable WW Deck features same cockpit (seat, coaming, and skirt) as the standard WW Deck but with the increased flexibility of a water resistant perimeter zipper allowing you to convert to an open boat for more relaxing days. However, the regular WW Deck is a substantially drier and warmer choice for significant whitewater paddling.
- Cargo Fly – The Cargo Fly is the ultimate packraft gear storage solution. The three-piece system utilizes an airtight and watertight zipper installed in the stern of the boat together with two gear storage dry bags which are clipped in place along the inside of the raft tubes. The system provides drier and more secure gear storage, improved paddling performance due to a lower center of gravity, quicker transitions from packrafting to hiking, and the internal dry bags act as additional balanced air chambers for increased safety (even over a two-chamber packraft) in the event of a puncture. All Gnarwhal models come standard with the Cargo Fly and our Standard Internal Dry Bags (you can substitute our Ultralight Internal Dry Bags by including a note on your order at checkout).
Hull: Proprietary 210-denier high count nylon, single side laminated with pigmented polyurethane film (Made in USA). 420d Nylon is available as a heavy duty option (Made in USA).
Floor: Proprietary 840-denier ballistics nylon, laminated on both sides with polyurethane film (Made in USA).
Seat: 200-denier oxford nylon, with single side polyurethane laminate (Made in USA).
Accessories: All grab loops and similar attachments are manufactured in house in Mancos, Colorado out of scrap floor materials and USA made webbing. Small parts and fasteners are Made in USA, when available, and sourced from industry leaders like Duraflex, YKK, and ITW-Nexus.